Skip to main content

Planning for Australia: Visa


One of my favorite Netflix shows is Border Security; USA, Canada, and the Australian one. Among the smuggling and blatant disregard for the declaration process, other major issues that arise tend to revolve around visas.  Either it's fake, or they are not a "genuine tourist/student", or the holder did not realize that their visa has expired. Really, there is no excuse to skip this VERY important step, if this is a step you need to take, when you are about to travel.  As I mentioned in "The Worst Common Travel Mistakes", a visa can truly make or break a vacation.

I'm an American with a passport, so I can easily travel pass the Canadian border. Planning for Australia was my chance to determine the difficulty of the Australia Visa Application.

Which One?

The Australian government website has plenty of visa options available - and they know it! A first timer, like myself, can get a little overwhelmed with looking through all the types of visa, especially when some are very similar. You have to consider the requirements of each visa, as well as the short-term or long-term time spans, and prices. Which one is THE ONE?



 The Australian visa site takes the guess work out of this whole process with a few simple question determined to direct you to the one you need. 



As a short-term American visitor, my results were:

⇨Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
⇨Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462)
⇨Visitor Visa (subclass 600)




I picked the electronic option since it would be a faster process than the others offered. This option was also less than $20 USD. 


Filling Out The Application

The electronic visa allowed me to easily fill in my information right away. The form took about two minutes, tops. All you need is your passport.

Confirmation

The electronic application I was confirmed by email within the hour and the whole process was complete. The process will be different and take more time with other visa applications, like the one that requires you mail in documents and they have to put the visa in your passport. That was something I also wanted to avoid mainly because of the time it would take. I was very happy with the online application process. 

In the end, the whole procedure was very easy. The carefully planned website was easy to navigate and utilize. The intuitive questions helped me to get the task done correctly and quickly, instead of spending the day second guessing myself and worrying if I overpaid for the wrong thing. 

Be sure to do your research before you leave. There's more than visas on this government site. If Australia is your next stop, take full advantage of the abundant resources the site has to offer!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off to Australia!

It feels so good to be off on another adventure! I'm visiting my friend, Amie, in Sydney and she's going to show me the locals live in this beautiful city. I've never been to Australia and I'm very excited to make some lasting memories, write new blog posts, and film new videos! Make sure you subscribe to my Youtube Channel , follow the blog, or even connect with me on Instagram ( Wildechildyup ) to keep up on the updates, adventures, and fun times!  Get to know my good friend Amie in this video we did a while ago (before she even left for Australia) about our different traveling styles: 

Group Travel: How to Start!

Traveling with friends can be a blast. Sometimes, even before you book tickets/hotels, it can also be a pain. The group has to get together, decide on location, dates, duration of trip, where to stay, and more. I believe the more work you put into your trip before travel, the more fun and relaxing the trip will be! Don't forget to check out an earlier post on Which Travel Size Fits You to help determine if group travel is for you! Currently I’m in the midst of planning a group trip with some friends overseas - which adds a bit more difficulty to this group travel planning process. They live in Europe and I’m in Ohio, so it's not like we can all sit down over coffee to hammer out the details in one go. But, thanks to modern technology there's group chat, video messages, and other ways to overcome the time differences. We know where we want to visit; Rome. Now we come to figuring out how long each of us are able to travel.

Port Stephens: Marine Park & Lighthouse

November and December are always the worst blog months for me because I'm usually doing NANOWRIMO and there are lots of family birthdays and holiday events. And now I've started a second job! Although I'm not writing as much as I want, I do still have a backlog of videos! Don't forget that I do have a Youtube Channel (Click HERE) , a home for all of my trip videos, as well as travel tips and conversations with some of my favorite travel buddies!  Here is the latest video I posted; more footage of my Australian adventure :)  We spent our last day in Port Stephens and Nelson Bay buying postcard and wandering around the Marine Park working our way to the Lighthouse. It was a on-and-off-again cloudy and rainy day, but the views were still worth standing in the chilly air and a little rain. At the top of the incline, where the lighthouse and lighthouse museum is, there's also a little darling cafe! It's called the Inner Light Tea Rooms . (I'm telling you,